Knowledge, Attitude and Preventive Practice against risk factors of Diabetes Mellitus 2 amongst students of Mount Kenya And Gitwe Universities Rwanda.
Karomo, Wambugu Francis
MetadataShow full item record
The incidence of diabetes mellitus 2 among youths has increased. The specific objectives were to assess the level of knowledge regarding risk factor for Diabetes mellitus 2, to identity the attitude towards risk factors of Diabetes mellitus 2, to determine the prevention practice against risk factor of Diabetes mellitus 2, to determine the factors associated with adequate preventive practice to risk factor of Diabetes mellitus 2 prevention amongst students of Mount Kenya and Gitwe Universities Rwanda. Entire populations of 2780 students from Mount Kenya University and 978 from Gitwe University constituted the target population, Using Yamane formula, Sample size was calculated which was 268 and 94 students respectively. A close-ended questionnaire was designed to collect student’s data. A total of 384 students filled the questionnaire satisfactorily. Most of the respondents (61.5%) had moderate level of knowledge on risk factors of Diabetes mellitus 2. However, about a quarter (25.3%) had low level of knowledge and those with high level of knowledge on the same were 12.9%.The study revealed that most of the respondents (59.8%) had positive attitude on risk factors of Diabetes mellitus 2 followed by moderate (36.8%) while only 3.4% had low attitude. Most of the students (60.6%) scored adequate practice on risk factors of Diabetes mellitus 2 prevention while the remaining (39.4%) scored in-adequate practice towards risk factors of Diabetes mellitus 2 prevention. Students from Gitwe University were 2.1 times more likely to practice adequately on risk factor of Diabetes mellitus 2 prevention [OR=2.10; 95%CI=1.24 - 3.56; P=0.006] as opposed to those enrolled at Mount Kenya University. Female students were 1.71 times more likely to practice adequately on risk factor of Diabetes mellitus 2 prevention [OR=1.71; 95%CI=1.10 - 2.64; P=0.016] than their male counterparts. Moreover, employed students were significantly more likely to practice adequately on risk factor of Diabetes mellitus 2 prevention [OR=3.01; 95%CI=1.57 - 5.77; P=0.001] than those who were students. Students with high level of knowledge had about 3 times more adopt preventive practice against risk factor of Diabetes mellitus 2 [OR=3.33; 95%CI=1.44 - 7.74; P=0.005] as opposed to those with low level of knowledge. Similarly, students with positive attitude on the risk factors of Diabetes mellitus 2 were 5.5 times [OR=5.55; 95%CI=1.46 - 21.13; P=0.012] and with moderate level of attitude were 4 times [OR=3.98; 95%CI=1.03 - 15.40; P=0.045] more likely to adequately practice on risk factor of Diabetes mellitus 2 prevention compared to those with low attitude. The study recommended that the University should endeavor to inculcate healthy life style behavior through health education clubs, programs and workshops and instill good knowledge and attitude towards diabetes mellitus 2.